Melvin Mark Companies has developed, owned, and managed property in Portland since 1945. Along with a current portfolio of almost 4 million square feet of commercial space in the Metro area, we also provide a full range of commercial real estate services for landlords and tenants. Our companies include Melvin Mark Capital Group, Melvin Mark Construction Company, and Melvin Mark Brokerage Company.
We have a respected reputation in the community; we are regarded as both a great place to work and for our philanthropic endeavors. We offer a competitive benefits package which includes medical/dental, professional development, parking, an annual TriMet pass and much, much more! Our 50-plus employees all enjoy being part of the Melvin Mark team. In fact, Melvin Mark employees have an average tenure of around 11 years! Interested in bringing your talents to one of the leading commercial real estate firms in Portland? Be sure to check us out at www.melvinmark.com.
This high-level management position is ultimately responsible for leading and developing a team of Chief Engineers, Building Engineers and Maintenance Technicians, to ensure that the physical operations of our portfolio of properties attains high project performance, based on established goals and benchmarks.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS / PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
• Manage, coach, motivate, direct, and develop a team of engineers and maintenance tech professionals to achieve department goals
• Create the culture needed to enhance, promote and execute daily positive interaction among members of the team
• Ensure job responsibilities and expectations are clearly defined and communicated and performance issues are addressed in a timely manner
• Oversee capital improvements, maintenance and repairs to buildings. Including all building systems – mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and structural. Make recommendations for preventative repairs and upgrades
• Stay abreast of current government issues, labor issues or code issues affecting the assets
• Develop Life Safety protocols including taking a key role in maintaining emergency preparedness protocols
• Respond and serve as emergency point person, when necessary
• Develop and monitor energy management program for portfolio
• Oversee the effective use of the tenant work order system by the team
• Stay knowledgeable on latest technologies as related to building systems and equipment
• Create annual budgets that reflect clear and concise analysis and well thought out recommendations
• Manage vendor relationships effectively to ensure service expectations and contract obligations are met and costs are within budget and/or opportunities for expense savings are achieved
• Competitively bid service agreements as necessary
• Must exhibit strong leadership skills
• Skilled at communicating with other employees and general public using tact, courtesy and good judgement
• Ability to understand and execute oral and written instruction, policies and procedures
• Talent for working under pressure
• Proficiency in working with and understanding building mechanical and control systems, operating schemes and control strategies
• Ability to identify, analyze issues, and develop and present recommendations
• Detail oriented and accurate
KNOWLEDGE / EXPERIENCE / EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
• At least five years of experience managing a team of building engineers
• General knowledge of building codes, electrical standards (24-480v), water treatment standards, State labor laws (BOLI and OSHA), and building operation standards
• Demonstrated ability to communicate concisely using mechanical, electrical, plumbing and commercial construction terminology
• Ability to read and understand blueprints and associated design documents
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Energy Management System based software
• Electrical experience of three (3) years with safe handling of voltages up to 480 volts
• Have LBME or LME license, Universal Refrigerant Handlers license, Building Operators certification level 1 & 2 or BOMA SMA Designation
• Bachelor’s degree is preferred
There is a high noise environment in mechanical room when chillers are operating. Some exposure to concentrated particulates during perimeter unit cleaning. Also, some extreme stretching, bending when inspecting perimeter units.
The individual in this position needs to move around a large office building, occasionally ascending/descending ladders, and moving a variety of items/equipment up to 50 pounds. This person must also be adept at communicating and exchanging information with tenants, co-workers and vendors. It is often important for this position to be exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The ability to keenly inspect tenant improvement jobs and work performed by vendors is a must.
This is an essential services position and, as such, this individual is often called upon to assist in the welfare of our tenants and the safety of our buildings in emergency situations, such as severe weather occurrences, etc. Working on-call evenings and rotating weekends are required
WORK FROM HOME: this position has the ability to work from home up to 20% of the time based on standard working hours per week.
All building staff may be subjected to a separate security clearance/background check by Federal, State or Municipal tenants.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level
Job Function : General